At Willowbrook, science is taught discreetly with one science lesson per week. Each year group studies 5 science topics – these topics can be found in the long term plan below.
Willowbrook has been accredited the Silver Primary Science Quality Mark. The Primary Science Quality Mark scheme enables schools to work together to share good practice and is supported by professional development led by local experts. It encourages teacher autonomy and innovation while at the same time offering a clear framework for development in science subject leadership, teaching and learning. The Primary Science Quality Mark is led by the University of Hertfordshire’s School of Education in partnership with the Primary Science Teaching Trust. It is supported by the Royal Society for Chemistry, the Ogden Trust and the Association for Science Education.
Science homework continues to be part of our half-termly topic homework. We and hope children will continue their science learning and thinking scientifically at home.
Willowbrook has 10 principles of science teaching and learning:
- At Willowbrook, we know good science teaching and learning is happening when…
- Children are able talkabout their learning using scientific vocabulary
- Children are asking the questions and have a desire to investigate and explore
- Children use a range of equipment, including ICT
- Children are engaged and excited to explore – they enjoyscience
- There are WOW moments that surprise the children
- There is skill progression across the school
- Learning is purposeful with links to everyday lifeand the future
- Use is made of the outdoors and completing fieldwork
- There are cross-curricular links and children make these links with learning placed in context
- Learning is recorded in a variety of ways
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|Animals including humans||Animals including humans||Animals including humans||Animals including humans||Animals including humans||Animals including humans|
|Everyday Materials||Living things and their environment||Forces and Magnets||Living things and their environment||Earth and Space||Evolution and Inheritance|
|Seasonal Changes||Uses of everyday materials||Light||States of matter||Living things and their environment||Living things and their environment|
|Free investigation||Free investigation||Rocks||Sound||Properties and changes of matter||Light|